Monday, June 7, 2010

Diving Weight



Here is the next piece of the Delta suit, The Diving Weight or to others, A Pendant, or a Lock-shaped diving weight. I drew up a sketch on a 11x17" sheet of Bristol paper, cut out the shape, and then drew an outline on a piece of MDF. I took three pieces of MDF and held them together with two screws and cut out the shape with an electric jigsaw. The first piece I made was straight cut with the help of my father. We took turns holding the piece in place and cutting it out. I tried to sand down the edges but to me it didn't seem consistent.



The first piece was a guinea pig. I hit it with a Maul a few times to make it look worn and beat up to match Delta's.

For the second piece I did almost the same process except when it was cut the jigsaw was changed to cut at an angle, a great deal of thanks goes to my father who thought of cutting it at an angle and again helping me cut it out. This made it so the slope on the pendant was consistent all around. After it was cut out, the 3 pieces were glued together with good ol' fashion wood glue and then the holes were made for the rope to go through.



All that's left is some fiber glassing and some paint to add the finishing touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment