Monday, June 7, 2010

Delta's Helmet

The first part of the suit I started on was the helmet, only because it would probably be the most difficult for me. When I first started the helmet I thought of two ways to make it. The first was to make a skeleton and fill it in with expanding spray foam. At the time I was in my college dorm room and I didn't have the proper materials to create the helmet. I also didn't have a good stand. As you can see I used my chair in my dorm room, which wasn't a good idea because the slightest amount of weight makes the chair lean back like a rocking chair. As soon as I put the spray foam on, the skeleton fell. The skeleton broke and the foam got all over the ground. Long story short it was a complete disaster. Sometime later I thought of another idea. For my next idea I put insulation foam layers together and carved the helmet out. Again it was a disaster because I didn't have the proper tools (I carved the helmet out with an old rusty spoon...).

My failed attempts left me a little discouraged but I continued on. My buddy Jason (aka Jeddy or Jeddychan "http://jeddychansproductions.alters1.com" ) suggested that I try Pepakura. I never used it before but I figured it would be a good time to try it. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the paper craft once it was finished but the end results were outstanding once I modified the helmet a little bit to fit my own body. The helmet was fiber glassed to strengthen it and then I put spray foam on it to give it a layer in order to add things (visor, tanks, hoses, etc.) 24 hours after the spray foam dried I started to carve it to make it a little more smooth.


I finished smoothing the helmet out and also doing a little bit of cutting to refit it. Here are some images of the helmet as it is right now and what it looks like when it's worn. The jumpsuit, gloves, and boots will be modified and recolored. The thick edges of the helmet will also be sanded and smoothed down.




Update 1: Making some progress on my helmet. Removed some of the foam on the inside of the back so it would be less "chunky" and I also installed the visor into the helmet and now the next step is the one I've been fearing to do. Fiber-glassing! Here are some pictures of the helm before I fiber-glass it.



Update 3: Finished fiber-glassing the helmet! I was surprised that the fiber-glass resin didn't effect the foam in anyway and also incredibly happy. Now the helmet is fairly solid. I filed down some of the rough edges here and there. Now all I have to do is bondo it a little to fill in the holes and also add a thin layer to make it have a smooth surface. I also adjusted the visor by spreading the bars out a little further.





No comments:

Post a Comment